20 Ways to Change Your Story
13. Follow Love
In chapter ten of Fallen, The Adventures of a Deep Water Leaf, Deer talks to Alora about love and fear:
Do you see how fear makes the world smaller and love expands it? How love makes you brave and overcomes fear? Fear separates you from the truth of who you are. And the truth of who you are is love. ~ Deer
Your bigger, bolder, brighter story will always emerge through love, not fear. The more you can choose to act from love, the more amazing your story can become.
But what would love do? How can you tell what the loving choice is?
- Love is inclusive, welcoming, accepting. Fear is exclusive, tribal, wall-building.
- Love shares. Fear hoards.
- Love stretches boundaries. Fear holds tight to status quo.
- Love sees what’s working. Fear sees what’s broken.
- Love steps forward into possibilities. Fear runs away or freezes.
- Love values you and finds you worthy. Fear sells you short and makes you feel unworthy.
- Love expands. Fear contracts.
When faced with a decision, try this little meditation:
Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Center your breathing into your heart and take a few more deep heart breaths. Feel the air moving, in and out, as if it were flowing through your heart.
Now, imagine you are standing at a fork in the road. To your left, the path travels into the future created by making decision “A” and to the right the path travels into the future created by making decision “B”. Which of the two paths feels more expansive?
You can feel the expansiveness or the contraction within your heart space and perhaps within other parts of your body.
- Do you feel your shoulders falling back and your chest opening up? Expansion.
- Do you feel your shoulders rolling forward and your body curling in on itself? Contraction.
- Do you feel a flutter of excitement in your belly? Expansion.
- Do you feel a knot or nausea in your belly? Contraction
Your body will have its own signals. Learn to listen to them so they can help you choose the path of love.
When you step forward in love you may still feel fear. It doesn’t have to hold you back. Love will help you to step through your fear and move you into a bigger story than you may ever have imagined.
This is the 14th post in a 21-post series sparked by Chapter 9 of Fallen, The Adventures of a Deep Water Leaf, in which Lizard suggests that Alora change her story.
#20WaysIn20Days, #ChangeYourStory, #Fallen